MINI dominates stage 9 at the 2014 Dakar Rally // Stéphane Peterhansel leads a pack of four MINI ALL4 Racing.
Munich (DE). Stéphane Peterhansel (FR) in his black MINI ALL4 Racing topped the timesheets on stage 9 at the 2014 Dakar Rally. The Monster Energy X-raid Team driver dominated today's 422km-long stage from Calama to Iquique (both CL) and finished 2:17 minutes in front of his MINI teammate Nasser Al-Attiyah (QT) in the predominantly white MINI ALL4 Racing car.
Today's route led to the most northerly point of the Dakar, the city of Iquique. The drivers had to tackle the infamous Atacama desert, the driest place on earth. A real challenge for the cars and drivers likewise. Once again, the MINI ALL4 Racing car, which is based on the MINI John Cooper Works Countryman, proved its reliability and competitiveness under tough conditions.
"I'm really satisfied with today's stage," Stéphane Peterhansel said after crossing the line in Iquique. "The Atacama desert is one of the biggest challenges at the Dakar Rally. It was a trouble free day for us and I'm really confident for the rest of the Dakar Rally. My co-driver Jean-Paul Cottret and the whole team are doing a great job."
Today, Peterhansel led a pack of four MINI ALL4 Racing cars. Joan "Nani" Roma (ES), who is still leading the overall classification in front of Peterhansel, finished in 3rd, Orlando Terranova (AR) was in 4th place.Here are the Stage 9 standings and overall standings after Stage 9, according to AutoSport:
On Wednesday the drivers will head south from Iquique to Antofagasta. The 631km-long stage 10 will be divided into two parts. The first 231 kilometres will be held on sand and soil. The second, 215km-long part will be characterised by gravel and sand, the so-called "fesh fesh" sand, which is extremely fine. Once again, the drivers have to be really careful not to get stuck with their cars.
Leading stage nine times:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Stephane Peterhansel X-raid Mini 4m17m53s
2. Nasser Al-Attiyah X-raid Mini +2m17s
3. Nani Roma X-raid Mini +11m36s
4. Orlando Terranova X-raid Mini +14m14s
5. Giniel de Villiers Imperial Toyota +22m57s
6. Adam Malysz Orlen Toyota +41m33s
7. Krzysztof Holowczyc X-raid Mini +42m17s
8. Federico Villagra X-raid Mini +43m04s
9. Vladimir Vasilyev X-raid Mini +44m59s
10. Marek Dabrowski Orlen Toyota +45m15s
Leading overall positions after stage nine:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Nani Roma X-raid Mini 34h15m37s
2. Stephane Peterhansel X-raid Mini +12m10s
3. Orlando Terranova X-raid Mini +54m33s
4. Nasser Al-Attiyah X-raid Mini +59m46s
5. Giniel de Villiers Imperial Toyota +59m46s
6. Krzysztof Holowczyc X-raid Mini +3h00m03s
7. Marek Dabrowski Orlen Toyota +3h20m47s
8. Carlos Sainz SMG Buggy +3h28m27s
9. Christian Lavieille H8 Haval +3h56m56s
10. Adam Malysz Orlen Toyota +3h57m32s