Livermore to Castle Air Museum - Sun., February 25, 2024

Our February run will take us over backroads through the hills and valleys of the East Bay and out to the Central Valley and Castle Air Muse...

Everything The DMV Wants You To Know (And Do) If Your Are In An Accident

The California Department of Motor Vehicle has posted a new webpage called "Vehicle Collisions! What To Do?"  The page contains tidbits such as:
If you are involved in a vehicle collision—STOP. If you don’t stop, you may be convicted of “hit and run” and could be severely punished. Someone could be injured and need your help. You must show your driver license, registration card, evidence of financial responsibility, and current address to the other driver or persons involved, or to any peace officer. Evidence of financial responsibility is usually an insurance company name and a policy number. If you do not have it, you will receive a citation and a $250 fine.

You or your insurance agent, broker, or legal representative must do the following:

Move your vehicle off the street or highway. If you do not move your vehicle or have it removed from the street or highway, any peace officer or authorized personnel may have your vehicle removed and impounded. (CVC §§22651 and 22651.05)
Pull over to the side of the road and stop if you kill or injure an animal. Try to find the owner. If you can’t find the owner, call the nearest humane society or call the police or CHP. Do not try to move an injured animal. Never leave an injured animal to die.
Try to find the owner if you hit a parked vehicle or other property. Identify yourself before you leave. If you can’t find the owner, leave a note with your name and address (and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving) in the vehicle or securely attached to it. Report the accident without delay to the city police or, in unincorporated areas, to the CHP.
Report the accident to the police or CHP within 24 hours of the accident if someone is killed or injured.
Report the accident to the DMV within 10 days, if there is more than $750 in damage to the property of any person, or anyone is injured (no matter how slightly) or killed.